What’s the True Difference Between Employees and Independent Contractors?
The Growing Your Team Podcast Episode 7
Employees or Independent Contractors… do you know the difference?
Many small business owners do not fully understand the difference between the two and hire based on opinions and not fact. However, hiring a team member under the wrong classification can lead to significant fines, fees, and other penalties by the government.
Therefore, I want to ensure that as a small business owner you understand the difference and feel confident that you are hiring the right team member each time. That is why, in this episode, you will learn the basics of the two classifications.
In this Episode You’ll Hear:
- What agencies of the government define and monitor the classifications of employees and independent contractors (ICs). (1:38)
- An overview of what an employee is and what it means for you to own the control of the relationship. (2:45)
- What ICs really are and how they should interact with your business. (4:10)
- One of the biggest mistakes I see business owners make when they hire ICs. (5:47)
- How I was once a misclassified employee and the impact it had on me and the business owner. (6:52)
- What can happen to you if you misclassify your workers. (11:00)
Are you trying to figure out if your position should be an employee or an independent contractor? The first resource you should check out is the IRS website. View the below links to learn more. If you still are not 100% sure after reviewing the IRS website, it will be in your best interest to consult an employment lawyer.
Do you have questions about anything discussed in this episode? Or, do you have other questions about hiring or managing team members for your small business?
Then, you are invited to join the free Growing Your Team Facebook community.
The group is designed to provide you support as you grow and manage the team who is going to save you time and earn you more revenue.
So, come on over and join the Growing Your Team community and let’s grow you the team you need and deserve.
Subscribe and Review:
Have you subscribed to the Growing Your Team podcast yet? If not, subscribe today on your favorite podcast player so you never miss a future episode.
Also, while you’re there, please leave a review! By leaving a review, you help other small business owners find the podcast so they can gain the knowledge they need to successfully hire and lead their team members.