Why You Need to Worry About Dress Codes, Nepotism, and Social Media Policies
with Laura Tolhoek
The Growing your Team Podcast: Episode 46
Have you given thought to the HR policies in your small business?
Whether you have one employee or 100 plus employees, HR policies are a must-have! They help set the ground rules for dress codes, vacation policies, social media use, and so much more.
In this episode of the Growing Your Team podcast, Laura Tolhoek is sharing why HR policies are a must-have for any size business and how to navigate some of the sticky situations you’re bound to encounter once you start managing employees.
In this Episode You’ll Hear:
- Why HR support is essential even when you have fewer than five employees (3:52)
- Whether you should consider letting your VA write your handbook (4:56)
- Why you want to figure out the basics of your policies before you hire the first employee (8:33)
- How to set rules around employee dress and what you can do when employees don’t meet your standards. (11:43)
- How you can create a dress code that allows for inclusion and diversity. (19:12)
- Answer the question about whether you should look up candidates on social media during the hiring process. (21:26)
- How to balance reality with the social media image you and your employees portray about your company. (25:34)
- Why you need to align the rules you have for family members and non-family members. (29:35)
- What a vacation resource drain is and how you can avoid it. (21:34)
- Why nepotism does not have to equal a downward spiral in small businesses (36:19)
About Laura Tolhoek:
Laura Tolhoek is a Certified Human Resource Leader and the proprietor of Essential HR.
For the last 15 years, she has blended sound HR practices with her pragmatic approach to improve business performance. Now, Laura leads a team of HR rock stars as they navigate complex HR situations with managers, help guide decisions, and instill confidence with actionable steps.
In her spare time, Laura enjoys the company of her husband and two children. The kids continue to help her hone her leadership skills of negotiation and compromise, and after a decade, her husband is starting to warm up to the performance reviews.
How to Connect with Laura Tolhoek:
Do you know that you need a policy manual but not sure where to start?
Or, do you already have a policy manual but not sure if it has everything you need?
Download Essential HR’s Policy List today and continue building your team on a solid foundation!
Grab your copy here: EssentialHR.CA/GrowingYourTeam
Subscribe and Review:
Have you subscribed to the Growing Your Team podcast yet? If not, subscribe or follow today on your favorite podcast player so you never miss a future episode.
Also, while you’re there, please leave a review! By leaving a review, you help other small business owners find the podcast so they can gain the knowledge they need so they can hire like a pro and lead their team successfully!