Uncovering What’s Important: A Hiring Success Story
With Julie Shopa
The Growing Your Team Podcast Episode 76
For many businesses, their first hiring experience turns out to be anything but a pleasant one.
In many cases, the person they hired is great at what they do, but they are not who or what the company needs.
That is exactly what happened when Julie Shopa hired her first employee. The team member was fantastic, but she didn’t fill the gap Julie was trying to fill. Even worse, Julie was paying her more than she could comfortably afford!
How did Julie end up in this situation? She didn’t take any time to figure out who she needed on her team before starting the hiring process. She only knew that she needed help and hired the first person who came her way.
When it was time to try hiring again, Julie was determined not to make the same mistakes. This time, she enlisted the help of Growing Your Team to help her become clear on who she needed to hire and how to find her ideal team member.
The results? Hiring success!
Listen and hear about Julie’s hiring journey and the process that led to finding her great new employee.
Disclaimer: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that if you choose to make a purchase through the links provided, I will earn This commission comes at no additional cost to you.
About Julie Shopa:
Julie Shopa, Financial Healer at Clarity Finances LLC demystifies bookkeeping for business owners so that they know where the money is going and why. For over 25 years she has been helping business owners understand the financial position of their companies, how to be more profitable and how giving is a strategic, integral part of that process.
Julie is a Penn State grad with a BS in Finance. She has been a Quickbooks expert for over 20 years. She has a vision to take teams of experts around the world to places that are economically challenged. She believes there are locals in these places who already have a great idea that would bring hope and positive economic change and they are just praying for the resources and expertise. She wants to be part of the answer to those prayers.
In this Episode You’ll Hear:
- What Profit First is and how it can help your business create cash in hand profit every quarter – not just on paper profit
- How Profit First gave me the needed permission to invest money in the things needed to grow my business
- How I stopped cannibalizing my business with expenses, paid myself more in the first four months of 2021 than all of 2020 combined, and paid off a debt quickly all because I implemented profit first.
- Why you can’t put profits over people if you want long-lasting employees.
- How Julie ended up paying an employee more than she could afford due to a random hiring process.
- How going through the H.I.R.E. framework helped Julie gained the clarity of who she needed to hire.
- How Julie overcame her fears of delegation and learned to become comfortable with handing off responsibilities.
Get your copy of Profit First by Mike Michalowicz here.
How to Connect with Julie Shopa:
Where could your business go with a strong team of support to help get you there?
Imagine what goals you could achieve, the time you could save, clients and customers you could serve, and the revenue growth that could happen with the right people surrounding you in your business.
Can you see it?
While you might be able to imagine it, you might not be confident about the steps you need to take to get there.
At Growing Your Team, we can help. Schedule your free Jump-Start Consultation today.
Subscribe and Review:
Have you subscribed to the Growing Your Team podcast yet? If not, subscribe today on your favorite podcast player so you never miss a future episode.
Also, while you’re there, please leave a review! By leaving a review, you help other small business owners find the podcast so they can gain the knowledge they need to successfully hire and lead their team members.