Making a Good First Impression with Video Interviews
with Liz M. Lopez
The Growing your Team Podcast: Episode 22
As a business owner, what are your first thoughts when you think of interviews?
If you’re like most business owners, one of the first things you think of when going through the process is finding the best candidate for your opening. You think of yourself interviewing others.
However, interviews are a two-way street. Not only is the candidate making an impression on you, but you are also making an impression on the candidate. That first impression will impact whether they later accept a job offer, and what they will tell their network about your company – the good, the bad, and the ugly.
In this episode of the Growing Your Team podcast, Liz M. Lopez shares how to make a good first impression from both a candidate’s perspective and an interviewer’s perspective. She is also sharing with us how to master video interviews so we can make great hiring decisions even when we can’t meet with a candidate face-to-face.
Disclaimer: Some of the links below are affiliate links. This means that if you choose to make a purchase through the links provided, I will earn a commission that comes at no additional cost to you.
In this Episode You’ll Hear:
- How Liz helps anyone in a transition (which can be a transition within your own company) become intentional about the moves they are making to grow their careers and businesses. (4:50)
- Some of the top things you need to worry about when you prepare to be on camera for a video interview outside of what you wear. (8:08)
- Why video interviews are going to be a popular choice for companies for a long time. (12:08)
- How the first impression you put off during video interviews as the interviewer can impact the quality of candidates who are willing to say yes to the job. (12:50)
- More tips for acing video interviews as both an interviewer and an interviewee. (And yes, you need to wear pants!) (16:55)
- Whether video interviews allow you to learn more or less about a candidate than in-person interviews. (19:04)
- What has left a negative impression with some of Liz’s clients when they have interviewed for a job. (23:53)
- Why you need to avoid trying to hire the “French Chef who’s also good at Plumbing.” (27:34)
About Liz M. Lopez:
Liz M. Lopez is a valued Career & Business Coach, bestselling author, and celebrated speaker who ignites audiences by showing them their own potential and creating a clear path to accomplishing their true objectives.
After an award-winning 15 year corporate career, Liz launched her own company, Captivate Your Audience in 2007. In 2014, Liz co-founded the Keystone Mastermind Alliance with Tracie Thompson, an organization that is breaking barriers in mastermind-based networking for small businesses.
Liz has worked with thousands of Professionals, Business Owners, Entrepreneurs, and Corporate Groups to identify goals, set the right mindset, build practical systems, and practice fierce accountability to achieve unprecedented success in careers and business.
How to Connect with Liz M. Lopez:
Keystone Mastermind Alliance: https://kmanetwork.com
Book on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Suck-Up-Buttercup-Tough-Love-Strategies-ebook/dp/B07K6RJMMP/
Learn more and enroll in Liz’s 5 Steps to Securing a Leadership Role here.
Are you feeling overwhelmed by the pressure of choosing the right hire?
Are you tolerating a bad hire because you fear trying – and failing – again?
Gain the confidence to hire like a pro.
At Growing Your Team® we empower women entrepreneurs and leaders to expand their unique businesses by teaching them to master the hiring process. Schedule your free Jump-Start Consultation today.
Subscribe and Review:
Have you subscribed to the Growing Your Team podcast yet? If not, subscribe or follow today on your favorite podcast player so you never miss a future episode.
Also, while you’re there, please leave a review! By leaving a review, you help other small business owners find the podcast so they can gain the knowledge they need so they can hire like a pro and lead their team successfully!